|Location||San Jose, California|
|Date Posted||September 19, 2022|
Director of R&D, Mechanical Engineering (Robotics)
We are looking for a talented and experienced Mechanical Engineering Leader to be part of the R&D leadership team. This successful candidate will lead all Mechanical Engineering efforts including the design and development of a complex robotic system. This role will be involved in hiring an ME team and will help the architecture of this next generation robotic system.
Our client is an exciting new subsidiary company of a Series D startup that has raised over $400M to date. Their parent company specializes in developing novel automated technologies and interventional capabilities that will forever change the disparate outcomes of ischemic stroke - a disease that impacts close to a million people a year in the U.S., and 10 million worldwide.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Lead the Mechanical Engineering team that designs and develops the robotic platform
- Drive technical directions and design solutions for the mechanical architecture of the system.
- Manage and grow the mechanical team based on the needs of the program.
- Drive requirements for the hardware platform, identify problem statements and brainstorm creative solutions.
- Implement design and testing practices that are CE, ISO and FDA compliant, including design verification and validation and follow internal procedures.
- Work closely with cross-functional, multi-disciplinary teams such as other R&D leads, project management, clinical engineering, product and quality.
- Identify and build productive relationships with key vendors, suppliers.
- Design system for manufacturability
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years increasingly responsible, relevant experience in the medical device industry and 3+ years of experience leading or managing engineering teams.
- 8+ years of experience in developing and designing complex hardware systems preferably electromechanical.
- Experience in structural designs, complex mechanisms and mechatronic applications.
- Strong expertise creating 3D models and drawings in CAD preferably with SolidWorks.
- Analysis skills, including statics, dynamics, strength of materials and stress analysis.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Experience with full development cycle all the way to commercialization of Medical Devices.
- Experience with precision linear and rotary motion components as well as encoders and servo-motor selection.
- Strong understanding of fabrication methods including machining, sheet metal, rapid prototyping, and injection molding. Sand casting and die casting experience a bonus.