|Date Posted||September 19, 2022|
Title - Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports to - Mechanical Design Manager
Date Written/Revised - 07/2022
Direct Reports - N/A
Status - Exempt
Objectives of this Role
- Design and fabricate production ready equipment for the packaging industry.
- Deepen the understanding of products, customers, goals, organization, and business strategies, evaluating systems and processes, and identifying improvement needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Equipment Design (60%)
- Customize existing equipment to meet client demands
- Design and develop new equipment with the assistance of the latest 3D CAD software
- Utilize the latest in robotics and automation technology to improve machine capabilities
- Work with both project managers and clients to develop efficient process flows and line layouts
- Collaborate with controls engineers to create seamless integrated systems
Manufacturing Support (30%)
- Create 2D drawing files, source vendors, and order parts to meet production goals
- Develop drawings and procedures necessary for the assembly of equipment
- Lend assistance as necessary on the production floor to meet strict timelines
- Assist controls engineers in machine testing and troubleshooting
Sales and Service Support (10%)
- Assist technical writers in development of machine documentation packages
- Revisit existing equipment to repair or improve processes
- Travel to customer sites to evaluate problems or implement new solutions
- Assist sales and marketing using expert knowledge to farther clients understanding of the advantages of company equipment
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience in a related field
- 3+ years experience in machinery design
- Working knowledge of pneumatics/hydraulics, AC/DC powertrain design, and servo controlled actuator design
- Expertise in 3D design software, Autodesk Inventor experience is strongly desired
- Working knowledge of 2D AutoCAD
- Proven ability to support multiple projects simultaneously in a deadline driven environment
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and in a large team
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
Ability to operate computer.
Manual dexterity sufficient for constant use of a keyboard, mouse, and telephone. Speech and hearing sufficient for regular communications. Vision sufficient for use of a computer monitor and transaction documents.
Ability to sit for long periods of time.
Ability to perform climbing, stooping, crouching, walking, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
Executing up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and or 10 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Close mental and visual requirements needed to perform work dealing primarily with Engineering, management, and manufacturing.
Ability to plan, schedule, train, check and evaluate work.
Ability to troubleshoot (electrical/ programs/machine).
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
All employees are responsible for product quality and are required to understand and follow quality system procedures. All employees have the responsibility, organizational freedom, and authority to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of any non-conformities relating to product, process, and quality system.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.